1slow adjective \ˈslō\ a : lacking in readiness, promptness, or willingness b : not hasty or precipitate <was slow to anger> a : moving, flowing, or proceeding without speed or at less than usual speed <traffic was slow> b : exhibiting or marked by low speed <he moved with slow deliberation> : requiring a long time <a slow recovery>
1)Where are you from? Philadelphia!! Grew up in Philly, went away for a minute to go to college in Nashville and came back. If anyone wants to visit, I’m an excellent tour guide who knows where all the good food is. (I’m friends with an excellent pasty/candy chef…..)
2) What is your idea of a perfect Sunday morning? Laying in bed, late, with a copy of the New York Times. Great brunch and not getting out of jammies. When I’m tired of that, I’ll make an excellent meal for friends with lots of wine. All of this hopefully near a beach…..
3) What is your favorite facial moisturizer and laundry detergent? Favorite Moisturizer…. When I’m feeling fancy: Hope in a Jar by Philosophy. Everyday: Neutrogena Oil Free with Sunscreen.
Laundry Detergent: Woolite complete for regular clothes. It smells sooooo good!
4) What is the last book you read? Gone Bamboo by Anthony Bourdain. A fiction about an Ex-Pat professional assassins living in St. Martin. Makes me want a good meal and the beach.
Also, The Nine: Inside the Secret world of the Supreme Court. An excellent look into how the court works and how it sometimes fails.
5) What is the last movie you saw? Lincoln. It was Excellent. Daniel Day Lewis was Lincoln. He earned that Oscar! It was a story that made this very mythical historical figure a real person who struggled with what he had to do. Also, Tommy Lee Jones made me proud to be from Pennsylvania. (And that’s all I’ll say in case anyone hasn’t seen it.)
6) Who is your secret boyfriend? Ohhhh, this is tough to narrow down. My best friend says that one day she is going to catalogue all of my boyfriends so we can keep track of them. This week let’s go with Justin Timberlake. And my Hockey Boyfriend, Simone Gagne. Who is coming back to play for Philly!!!!! Mmmmmmmm……
7) What are two things you would like to be doing in your life right now and why aren't you doing them?
A. Not earning my Museum Studies M.A. so I can work at the Smithsonian.
B. Travelling the US to see the places that I want to see.
If I’m being honest, I don’t have a good reason why I’m not doing these, other than life has gotten in the way. So, this is the year to change all that!
I don’t have a blog but am happy to get in touch with any Derfs through email or Facebook.
Phenomenal Woman by Maya Angelou
Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman
Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
“To the Table or to bed,
You must come when you are bid.”
-Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
This is a good recipe for a cold day in the fall, but since I know some Derfs are in the middle of a snow storm, maybe this will make the snowy day better! Its small since I don’t have lots of people around to feed but you can double it with no problem! Enjoy!
Braised Pork Chops with Apples
2 whole Large Center Cut Pork Chops
1 cup Veggie Stock
¾ cups Apple Cider
1 whole Small To Medium Onion Julienned
1 whole Large Garlic Clove Sliced
1 whole Macintosh Apple Cored And Sliced
½ cups Corn Kernels (if Desired)
Pepper To Taste
1. Cut pork chop into pieces if desired. Salt the pork chops before browning. Brown in a skillet with butter.
2. Throw it all into the slow cooker minus the corn on low for 8 hours or high for 4-6.
3. Throw corn in the cooker in the last half hour or so…. (or if you’re like me, just throw it in in the beginning… cuz I’m lazy sometimes…..)
4. Serve with crusty bread and Enjoy!!!!
Small, awsome Regina